Building a Mailing List & Keeping in Touch with Your Prospects
When someone visits your website for the first time, the sad reality is that they'll probably won't buy anything and they'll never come back again. But shed no tears, you can reduce this traffic leak by presenting your readers with the option to sign up for your mailing list. Having a mailing list allows you to follow-up with your prospects (and your customers too!) so that they will remember you and buy from you when they are ready (with a little persuasion from you, of course!).
Other Benefits of a Mailing List:
- Build a sense of familiarity: People buy from people they feel that they know.
- Build trust and credibility: When you provide useful advice and information to your readers, it builds that trust.
How to Build Your Mailing List
Even though a list is very important to your online business success, focus on the quality rather than the quantity of your list. Many online business owners are so concerned about the numbers of people on their lists that they try all kinds of list-building services that bulk up their numbers, but leave them with an unresponsive list that often complains about being spammed.
The best subscribers are:
- People who have visited your website
- Consumed some of your content &/or
- Were recommended to you by somebody else
These are people who are truly interested in your content and products - so promote your newsletter to them, instead of using anonymous list-building services that fill up your subscriber list with people who have almost no clue as to who you are.
Here's what you can do to build your subscriber list:
If your goal is to reach highly-targeted subscribers, here are some great ways to get more of those people on your list.
- Place your subscription box on each page of your website and include a compelling reason to subscribe.
- Include information about signing up for your list wherever you display or distribute content. For example: articles, press releases, YouTube videos, etc.
- Create a freebie (report, piece of software, etc.) that you provide with a complimentary subscription to your newsletter.
- Encourage your subscribers to pass on your newsletter to friends.
What to Send to Your Mailing List
What you'll be sending, depends on the nature of your list and what you promise when you get people to sign up. If you have a shopping cart based website, your mailing list might promise product updates, promotions, etc. On the other hand, if you have a content-based website, you might focus more on providing more information-based content via email.
Regardless if you focus on product promotions or information, BOTH types of lists need to have a profit-plan, so ensure your subscribers know that they will receive promotions in addition to the content you'll be sending them.
Again, what you send will depend on the nature of your mailing list, but here are a few ideas to get the creative juices flowing:
- Quick tips relevant to your list's topic
- Updates on new articles, videos and other content you've created
- Product reviews
- Promotions for your own products
- Product promotions through an affiliate link
- Requests for feedback, so you can provide the information/products your readers are looking for
- Special discounts
- Interviews with influential people in your market
More Email Marketing Tips
- Keep your emails simple: There's no need to publish volumes and volumes of information in each newsletter. People already have email overload, so keep it simple for yourself and your readers.
- Track your results: Pay attention to which offers and information your readers respond most too and adapt your email marketing according to the results.
- Try out different subject lines: Because of that email overload we mentioned, it's not always easy to get your readers to OPEN your messages. Try using compelling subject lines that will encourage your readers to open up.
- Email regularly: In order to yield the best results with your email marketing, email your list regularly. Let them know what great value you provide and don't let them forget about you.
- Don't lose sleep when people unsubscribe: Feedback from your list is important, so when people complain or unsubscribe, you might be worried that you're doing something wrong. Remember, you can NEVER please everyone and people unsubscribe for a lot of reasons (they're busy, they changed their mind and many reasons have nothing to do with you). Concentrate on pleasing the people who LOVE your stuff and you'll do just fine.
How to Manage Your Mailing List
There are many services out there that will help you manage your mailing list. They provide you with a simple copy-and-paste code to put on your page and then it will collect the email addresses, manage the unsubscription/email address changes and also allow you to easily send out emails.
Some people starting out think they can manage their own mailing list, by manually adding people to their Outlook (or whatever email program they use) address book. This is not a good idea because:
- Once your list starts growing this becomes a cumbersome process. Sure, you can move to a service when you're ready, but each subscriber will likely have to complete the subscription process again as many services don't allow you to simply import your list. They do this to protect themselves against spam complaints and want to ensure that the email addresses were collected legitimately.
- Avoid sending bulk email through your ISP (Internet Service Provider). Your home Internet connection is not meant for sending out large volumes of email. Sending out bulk email could cause your ISP to shut down your connection.
Your Mailing List is INCLUDED with Internet Based Family
If you are an Internet Based Family website builder client, you don't need to pay for an additional mailing list provider as the service is included with your account (if you're not a client, you can try the service free here).
This brings us to the end of our training, but we are constantly growing our training library, so we recommend signing up for our update list and you'll receive notifications when we add new tutorials.
If you have any questions on using the website builder, simply search through the help center or submit a ticket and we'll give you a hand.